If you are looking for a sustainable and meat-free meal for Christmas, this nut roast is a delicious Christmas dinner alternative. It is loaded with umami from mushrooms and guess what – buffalo larvae flour! The bug powder adds a nice nutty taste to the loaf. Bug appetite!
30g dried chanterelles or Karl Johan (optional if you want a deluxe version)
2 cloves of garlic
80g basmati rice
70g of hazelnuts
2 tbl.sp dried thyme
3 dl soy cream/ oat cream
3 tbl.sp. of chickpea flour (or regular flour if you are not avoiding gluten)
20 grams bug powder, get it here
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Vegetable oil (e.g. rapeseed) to butter the casserole
- Boil the rice according to the instructions on the package and allow to cool
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions, mushrooms and hazelnuts roughly. Press the garlic.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat, add the onion first and then the garlic. Then add the mushrooms, hazelnuts and thyme. Cook until the water from the fresh mushrooms is evaporated.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and add the rice, chickpea flour, cream, salt and pepper.
- Grease the casserole with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 60 min.